My Evaluation

My evaluation 

In the beginning of my final major project, I set out to do a themed ep with our band. We all sat together and decided on a theme to go with for our ep and we planned everything out from our recording times to the mixing and mastering and even our cover art. This whole plan changed over time, so essentially, we didn’t achieve what we set out to do, but that is a good thing, because I am still happy with what we achieved. The main reason it didn’t work out is that we ran out of time do all the things that we planned to. Originally, we came up with a pretty unique theme for our ep. It was a theme that involved different types of fish, where each different type of fish portrayed a problem in a human's life. E.g., a goldfish would represent dementia and how hard it is for family and friends to deal with someone that has it. I feel that this was a great idea and had a deep meaning, however we thought of it too late, so we didn’t have time to complete this. Instead, we used previous songs that we had created to save time. This meant that the ep didn’t have a specific theme, which in my opinion isn't as good, however at least it meant we could get it completed now. The things that went well in the project consist of a few things: the recordings- these went well as we had a precise format every time and we recorded the songs in a proper studio, which meant is was professional. The song writing- we already had two songs recorded, which made it easier for our time as we had less to do and the songs we needed recording were songs we’d previously created, which saved time from song writing. The things that created obstacles for us were: the course failing us- one of our teachers stopped coming in right before our project, which wasn’t helpful, however a substitute came in and helped us. The time we had to complete the project- like I said the course failed us a bit, meaning we had things to catch up on, so we didn’t have loads of time on the final project, so we had to rush it a bit. 

The main skills and knowledge we developed during the project were definitely more practical over theory type stuff. We learnt how to record under pressure and for a deadline which is good for the music industry, as this could happen a lot. And we learnt how to work as a band together in order to complete all our parts on time. I think we could improve our knowledge in more theory-based things, like music theory and reading music etc, however I also think we could play in front of people more, so we get used to it. If I were to undertake a similar project again I would definitely leave more time to complete it and create a clear, guided plan that allows me to complete it with ease. This project could lead to a few things in the future, depending on what the main goal is, however I think for us the main thing it could lead to is gaining a wide variety of people for our fan base, who like our music. Over the project I feel I have developed positivly as a musician. Because I have developed skills that I only could have from this course. Such as: creating new songs or drum parts for songs, playing with other musicians. I think it has mainly helped my creativity, which is definitely a good thing for me to have in the future. 

 

Things/people that motivated me through this project: 

Comments